Friday 31 March 2017

Act Four: On spoilers, a warning

I don't like so-called spoiler warnings, so here's a warning of my own: Read at your own risk.
 
Act Four
Alyssa Rosenberg on culture and politics
 
 

Rose (Allison Williams) with her boyfriend, Chris (Daniel Kaluuya), in Universal Pictures' "Get Out.” (Justin Lubin/Universal Pictures)

This week, I got a number of emails complaining about the fact that I discussed part of the plot of the film “Get Out” in a piece about stories about privileged white women without noting that I was going to do so. This seems like an apt moment to remind Act Four readers how I handle labeling stories based on the content I discuss.

An underlying factor in the approach I use is that I intensely dislike the idea that knowing any element of a plot before you consume a story necessarily “spoils” that story. If a piece of art depends entirely on a plot reveal for its value, that’s a fairly limited assessment of what that work is capable of. Knowing a plot reveal can actually make it easier to focus on how the work builds up to that reveal and how it handles plotting, characterization, tone and theme. Using the word “spoiler” implies a value judgement I rarely share.

That said, because I try to be polite and because I want to be consistent, I’ve come to rely on the statute of limitations used by Vulture, the pop culture offshoot of New York Magazine, and codified by Dan Kois in 2008. Kois’s rules don’t address shows released all at once for streaming, which were barely even imaginable back in those halcyon, pre-“peak TV” days nine years ago. And they deal with whether something can be discussed or used in a headline, rather than labeled. But it’s a pretty fair set of rules, making time for people who both genuinely want to see something and who don’t want to do anything to protect themselves online to make sure they can get a movie ticket or catch an episode of television.

I understand that my adherence to these rules isn’t going to please everyone. But I hope that by reminding everyone that this is how I work, you’ll be able to approach my work accordingly. I’m not a reviewer: I’m not telling you what to watch before it hits the screen. Instead, I’m a critic, helping you digest what you’ve seen after the fact. That means I work in comparisons and pull from work released on a lot of different dates. I’ll label things when I’m writing very close to a release date, but I can’t anticipate when every single person who reads my work might get to a certain show or movie — and believe me, I once got yelled at for writing about the end of “Ender’s Game” decades after its release. If there’s something you’re passionately avoiding any mention of, the safest approach to my work may be a quick keyword search before you proceed.

The best I can do is write my columns. Beyond the rules I’ve linked to above, I’m going to need the rest of you to work with me on deciding how to read it.

ADVERTISEMENT
 
Companies like Thinx use liberal politics to sell things. Let the buyer beware.
What makes a company progressive? The people it markets to? Its CEO's behavior or political affiliations? Its supply chain?
 
Jane Austen and Douglas Adams don’t belong to the left — or to the right
No, Ted Cruz and Milo Yiannopoulos can't ruin fiction just by liking it.
 
Pop culture made us underestimate candidate Trump. It shouldn’t overestimate him now.
You don't need to fear Trump's negotiating abilities, and not even because he tends to overstate his abilities.
 
‘Legion’ shows us what television has to do to become truly novelistic
TV should embrace a much greater variety in episode orders and episode lengths, so that stories genuinely fit the space they're given.
 
Goodbye and thank you to ‘Bones,’ the show that helped make me a critic
Fox's procedural about gifted scientists solving grisly crimes taught me what to value in a TV show.
 
ADVERTISEMENT
 
Recommended for you
 
Intersect
The corner of the Internet and interesting, in your inbox weekly.
Sign Up »
 
     
 
©2017 The Washington Post, 1301 K St NW, Washington DC 20071
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment