Wednesday 22 November 2017

Act Four: This Thanksgiving, thank you

 
Act Four
Alyssa Rosenberg on culture and politics
 
 

This aerial photo made using a drone shows clouds reflecting in a lake surrounded by trees in autumnal colors near Cologne, western Germany, this month. (Henning Kaiser/Agence France-Presse via Getty Images)

Most weeks, I answer a question from Monday’s Act Four Live chat in the Wednesday edition of this newsletter. And you can, as usual, read the transcript of the Nov. 20 chat here, or submit questions for the Nov. 27 chat here (I’ll be doing personalized pop culture holiday gift recommendations then, if you’re so inclined). But because it’s almost Thanksgiving, and because I try to remember what I’m grateful for this time of year even when things broadly feel bleak, I wanted to take a moment to thank all of you instead.

One of the great joys of the almost nine years I’ve spent writing about pop culture on the Internet, and something that has become an even more important part of my experience since I moved to The Washington Post, has been talking with readers. I met my best friend and matron of honor at my wedding through my blog, when it was just named after me and was hosted on Blogger, and she’s hardly the only one. And every day, whether it’s in the chat, on Twitter, or in email, I continue to get wonderful, thought-provoking, compassionate emails from readers. Your queries inspire a lot of my writing, and force me to sharpen my arguments and thinking on subjects I’m already writing about. The overwhelming majority of missives I get from you all are kind, funny and compassionate. When difficult issues come up in the chat (as one did this week), I can always count on you to have constructive ideas for both the original poster and me.

I’m well aware that my experience isn’t the same as those of many other women who make their living writing for the Internet. And because of that, I wanted to take a moment to acknowledge what an enormous role all of you play in my day-to-day working life. I am remarkably thankful for all of you; for reading, for writing, for talking to me and for pushing me to be better. As we wind down a difficult year and prepare for a new one, I’ll try to keep living up to the standards you always set for me. Thank you.

If you’re looking for something to read before Thanksgiving dinner, try this
Wilbur Cross's 1936 Thanksgiving proclamation is the only pre-dinner reading you'll ever need.
 
ADVERTISEMENT
Seven books that helped me make sense of the craziness of 2017
From a novel about a post-apocalyptic American future to a scholar's account of how George Washington invented the presidency, these books made me feel grounded.
 
Now is the time to examine Louis C.K.’s work, not to bury it
You don't have to give him jobs in the future. But harassers' work can tell us a lot about the world.
 
ADVERTISEMENT
Did Al Franken make a bad decision, or is he a creep? Look for the pattern.
If you're having trouble sorting out bumblers from predators, serial behavior is a good way to tell what's up.
 
The 12 actors I’m most thankful for in 2017
From Margot Robbie to Lena Waithe, these people gave performances that have stayed with me.
 
 
Recommended for you
 
 
Get the 5-Minute Fix newsletter
Keeping up with politics is easy now, three days a week.
Sign Up  »
 
     
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment